Friday, September 16, 2016

A Very Odd Phone Call

I just had one of the most bizarre conversations I've ever had.

Context: I gave a presentation this morning for a group of teachers on a program my work offers. I gave the presentation with a woman who I worked with a few times over the last school year at the school she works at. And she's a really nice woman. We sat together for the remainder of the presentation time (about two hours) and did a few activities together - all very pleasant interactions.

This afternoon I received a call from her - on my cell phone. I was very confused at first - and I don't usually even pick up calls from numbers I don't recognize. But it was local enough that I went ahead and picked it up - and it was her!

This is about how our conversation went down:



"Hi, Geneva! This is Brenda. Are you at work still or finishing up soon?"

"I'm still at work until about 6:00 PM, but I'm totally ok to talk with you."

"Great...so I actually am not calling about the Golden Rule Project...actually, I wanted to ask you some questions about...you."

"Oh! Ok - go for it."

"So, I have some really cute boys and - I should probably check first to see if you're engaged - or married!"

"Oh, my goodness! I am actually married!"

 "Oh, well, I'm glad I asked!"

"...."

"Was that the main thing you wanted to ask about?"

"Yep, that was it."

"Oh, ok, well, sorry!" (I shouldn't be apologizing for being married to a great guy, but what do you say to that?!)

"No worries - I'm sure you've got a cute guy."

"I do!"

"You tell him he's a lucky guy."

"I will!"



It was simultaneously extremely flattering, and extremely awkward!

Also, very amusing.

It took me a little while to figure out how she got my cell number, and then I realized I'd emailed her it earlier in the morning when I wasn't sure whether I was in the correct location for the presentation. Mystery closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment