Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Cat Grass

On a morning in the recent past, Brandon came up to me in the bathroom after waking up and queried, "Did you ask me - while I was sleeping this morning - if I wanted to feed Peaches?"

"Yes. Yes, I did."

"Ok. I just had to ask - because I remembered after I woke up that something like that had happened, but I couldn't make sense of it...."

Context:

We recently started all our potted and garden plants! Among these, we planted some cat grass. Until two weeks ago when I was at the grocery store looking at seed packets, I didn't even know cat grass was a thing. Catnip, yes, but cat grass?

So, I  bought some and planted it in a little pot near our door. Hands down it has been the fastest growing thing that we've planted. This fact led to the conversation mentioned above. You see, on a Saturday morning when I'd noticed that the grass was already five to six inches tall, I decided it would be fun to see if Peaches would like some. Oh, my goodness - did she! I've never seen a cat inhale a non-meat so quickly. I proceeded to feed her a few more and was anxiously excited for Brandon to wake up in the near future so I could show him this fun new quirky trait of our little cat!

An hour or so passes (it's now 9:00 AM or so), and I bring Peaches upstairs from the garage with a handful of cat grass. She meows very demandingly the entire way up. Perhaps as a result of her vigorous meowing, Brandon stirs and looks up when we open the door. At which point, I ask if he wants to feed Peaches. He declines, citing his sleeping state.

And there you have it. One of many curious conversations at our home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment