Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Story

Big news! Brandon and I are (finally) officially engaged! Woo! :)

In our many trips to Logan these past several months, one of the additional reasons for our trips up there, which I didn't mention, was to design a ring at S.E. Needhams. When we went up way back on October 10th for True Aggie Night and the gallery walk, we'd spent so much time having dinner at Le Nonne that we only had time to go to one place before the gallery walk was over - and we went to S.E. Needhams. We were so impressed with the customer service and the apparent ease of the process there, that we decided we wanted to work with them. About a week later on the 18th, we went back up to do a couple things, but mainly to go back and talk with someone about getting stared on a ring design ( Lars!). Then began the long process of going back and forth through email to tweak and perfect the design we wanted. It took about five weeks of emailing and a visit to the store to look at a wax model to complete the design. Around November 23rd we were done - ready to give the green light and push forward. In retrospect, five weeks doesn't seem like a loooong time, but it felt like a long time while we were doing it. At that point they estimated four to six weeks to have it done - though were pushing to have it done by Christmas.

Another long wait ensued. At this point I ducked out of the emailing process with Lars and left the rest to Brandon - occasionally inquiring as to what the current status was. I knew we'd likely have it by Christmas, but that was about it.

Fast forward to last Tuesday, December 16th. This was the first evening I suspected anything. Brandon and I rarely made reservations anywhere, so for him to make such a solid plan for the evening made me wonder if maybe he already had the ring. I'm pretty sure I took a little extra time getting ready that evening, just in case...but the evening proceeded without major event.

(Talking with him about this later, he said that the confusion was intentional - that he'd thought about doing strange odd things (singing telegrams, etc.) just to throw me off so it would be more of a surprise, since at the first introduction of any legitimate clue, he knew I'd know what was up.)

Nothing of note (on my end) happened through the rest of the week. Work, work, work. Our usual routine in the evenings, though Brandon did go up to Zach's for a guys night on Friday (the 19th).

So, yesterday when we made plans in the afternoon to get together around 7:30, I thought nothing of it. I have this entire week off, so I spent yesterday rock climbing (ripped a callous off (blister under the callous) while climbing the second time yesterday), running errands, and beginning to work on overdue projects. When Brandon texted me around 7:10 to see if I was hungry then, I said yes and then in about two minutes changed out of the comfy house clothes I was in into something more normal (quite the opposite of the extra time I'd taken to get ready the previous Tuesday).

Brandon came and picked me up, we chatted about where to go for dinner, and he mentioned that we hadn't been to Sawadee in awhile, so we headed there. Custard and sticky rice and a dish of Pad See Ewe later, and we were very satisfied. He'd told me the ring would likely be done at the beginning of the week, so he had tentative plans to drive up there the next day (Tuesday). He had a soccer game in the evening that we were planning on going to. It was all proceeding normally until Brandon pulled out an envelope and handed it to me. Clue number one. A lovely note with a hidden message (which I couldn't at first decipher until I realized the letters were scrambled) took us to Temple Square. Clue number two took us to Memory Grove. We parked there and walked in, and in the chill wind, Brandon presented me with a third card, full of wonderful memories and thoughts. As we shivered in the wind on a little stone bench, Brandon explained his thought process over the past several years. It was pretty much impossible to tell if he was shivering exclusively because of the cold or if he was also nervous. And then he presented me with a little Needhams box which (laughingly) held a beautiful blue ring pop. In consternation I looked at the ring pop, not sure what exactly to do with it. And then he got down on one knee and pulled out another box with something quite different inside and asked me if I'd marry him. I told him I would (of course!), and then couldn't pull him back to the bench fast enough (it was too cold not to huddle together!). We sat there for awhile longer, laughing and talking, and then walked back to the warmth of the car.

Beautiful London Blue Topaz.

Turns out that Brandon actually picked up the ring on the previous Friday before his guys night. He'd gone up early in the afternoon to head there first. When he'd pulled into Needhams, he'd parked the car and just as he was going into the store, got a call from his parents and talked to them for a bit. After getting off the phone, he finally went in to talk with Lars and pick everything up. At this point he'd probably been in the store about an hour, between the phone call and everything else. However, when he went to leave, he couldn't find his keys. They looked around the store but couldn't find them. So he went out to check in his car and discovered that in his excitement/nervousness to pick up the ring he'd not only left his keys in his car, but he'd left the car running. (This is probably the most amusing detail to me from the whole sequence of events.) Fortunately it was still unlocked, and no one had decided to drive off with it. He'd then gone to the guys night as planned and proceeded to have the ring burning a hole in his closet through the rest of the weekend until last night.

Love this man!

To say that we are happy is an understatement. Excited, joyful, calm, peaceful, ecstatic, full of laughter and smiles - so happy. This has been a long time coming, so I know it will come as little surprise to any of you. But we're so excited to spend the rest of our lives together, to continue our adventures. I have no doubt that things will be hard at times, but I'm confident that they will also be wonderful and worthwhile.

We met for the first time in September 2010, went our separate ways, met again in September 2011, and have dated since then. We've got a few years under our belts already, but we look forward to many many more!

1 comment:

  1. Geneva, we are off the charts excited for you as well! You seem to be very good for each other. Know that once you are married, you won't be our daughter-in-law, you'll be our daughter. Hope your parents won't mind sharing you. Love you, beautiful woman!