Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Bits and Pieces: Middle of June

I feel like there are a bunch of random details just floating around out there that I've forgotten to tell all of you...

-I signed up for another half marathon, the Nebo Half (3500 ft. drop!) on September 6th. It falls almost exactly half way between now and the Moab Trail Half. I felt like I just needed something else in there...this week will be my fourth week of training (but I still feel unusually slow). (Also just bought some new trail running shoes! They're basically just like regular running shoes but with more aggressive tread. They'll work for any trail running I do and any hiking as well.)

-I signed up to volunteer with the Big Cottonwood Half the following weekend. I'll just be doing a shift towards the end of the week to help with the Expo rather than the race itself, so I won't have to get up super early or anything, but it should be fun! Free shirt/jacket included!

-I just picked up Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener’s Bones, Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia, and Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens, all by Brandon Sanderson. Once I finish these I'll have read every book he's published. Woohoo! I'll just have to read a few more of his short stories to tie up the loose ends. We went to FantasyCon here in Salt Lake on the 4th of July and got to listen to him read excerpts from some of his upcoming books. Awesome!

-I go to Cabo this weekend with my work for a Group Ops retreat! I've been to Mexico before, but never Cabo. While I'm excited, I'll admit I'm a little sad I can't take Brandon with me!

-It's my mom's birthday today! :D

-I've been tutoring ESL students (two boys from France) for the past several weeks. Kind of fun to get back into teaching English, but it's hard work! My current student wants to come back and go to college here in the states so we're working on getting him prepared for the TOEFL. It's essentially an English comprehension test that looks a lot like some of the other standardized college acceptance tests.

-I'm planning on attending SteamFest at the beginning of August with some friends. Imagine a two day interactive murder mystery dinner on steroids but with better writing and all steampunk themed. Sort of like that. Anyway, I've been working on putting together a costume for that. Still lots of work to do but it's fun to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment