Monday, March 10, 2014

Mission Accomplished!

Brandon and I both finished Words of Radiance last night. Incredible book. :)

Now that I've whipped through the book. I'll listen to it as an audiobook to catch any details I might have missed. Sometimes when reading books dense with detail (for example, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series) I can start to glaze over when the level of detail starts to become ridiculous. For the most part, Brandon Sanderson doesn't have an issue with that so I feel like I generally catch a high percentage of everything in the book. But even with his books, listening to them as an audio book just helps to slow it all down.

Almost no complaints about the book though! Definitely met and exceeded my expectations. I think the one thing that Brandon pointed out that Sanderson doesn't particularly excel at is clear description of large complicated battles. Both in the last book or so of the Wheel of Time and in some of his actual books, the battle scenes have just been hard to keep track of. I haven't read very many historical war books, but I wonder if that is something that Sanderson's simply not great at, or if it is just a difficult thing to do in general.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it if/once you've read The Way of Kings. I'm sure it will probably be several more years before the next book in this series, but I think I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment