Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wednesday Updates

Happy Wednesday! (I almost wrote Thursday!)

Let's see. This past weekend was lovely. We drove down to St. George to hang out with Duane, Shauna, and Angie for a few days. Not a super long stay, but a good one. Both the drive down and the drive back included much enjoyed talking time with Brandon. It's not like we don't already have gobs of time to talk, but sometimes driving, where there are few other things that can distract you, just facilitates it best. One of our current quandaries is where to set our target for our next large adventure. Not that either of us has large amounts of extra money to set aside for adventures, but I think it's always good to be looking forward to one, no matter when it is. Havasupai is a smaller potential repeat adventure this coming May, but we're still on the hunt for something big. If any of you have input where that is concerned, let us know!

St. George, though not as warm as we'd hoped it would be (forecast said 75 but we maybe got 50!), was still very pleasant. Brandon and I went running together Saturday afternoon and then met up with everyone at The Pizza Factory for a belated birthday dinner for Brandon. Dinner was followed by a break and then we followed Shauna and Duane a little later in the evening to their Square Dance (I feel like that might be quite the right title, but something like that) where they danced with a good number of people from all over. Very fun to watch. Though I know Brandon took some pictures (and I did actively think about it once or twice), I have no pictures to present for your enjoyment. I am working on that still.

We drove back Sunday night from St. George so we could have a quick recovery from our mini trip South and so Brandon could go to his soccer game on Monday night. I spontaneously decided at approximately 5:45 to run to Brandon's game location (7.7 miles away starting at 7:00), but Brandon picked me up sort of on the way around mile 5. I don't think I would have had any trouble making it the entire way, but I hadn't thought through my limited daylight very well.

I'm glad he picked me up though, because I would have hated to have missed his game. The last two (or three?) games his league team has played, his team has won by a lot. This go around, it was a pretty close game the entire time. I'm not overly familiar with the rules of soccer, but I have a general idea of when there is a foul. The refs at this particular game made a lot of calls that I would consider to be very poor calls, even with my limited experience. Even so, as the last seconds of the game wrapped up, the score was 5:6 with our team down one and in that last second (literally), after a few attempts, the ball finally found its way into the goal to tie the games. It happened so last minute that the cheers of the team and people watching drowned out the buzzer going off so we had to double check with the ref to verify that it had counted. Really cool moment.

Work has been exceptionally busy these last few weeks (not that I mind), and today threatened to bring snow down on our lovely mild winter (this was the first snow this month), but (after some very hard snowing) the sunshine decided it wasn't having any of it and it's all gone now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment