Thursday, October 24, 2013

Utah Names?

My coworker just shared this with me and I feel like I need to share it with all of you (and everyone in Utah or the world who does this)!




(Utah Names)

This embodies the ridiculousness with much of the naming that stereotypically (and realistically) occurs here in Utah. I can't remember all of the odd names of students I went to school with, but there were a lot of them. A LOT of them. My coworker isn't close acquaintances with these two girls, but he knows someone who is and that person (is that a long enough train of sources yet?) told my coworker that they (the girls doing the video) directly knew people with all of these names. This article also summarizes many of my thoughts were these kinds of names are concerned.  I may have already shared that here before...

Anyway, perhaps I'm an elitest or something, but I very strongly believe that there are enough old beautiful names and spellings already in existence that making more new "spellings" is unnecessary. If the handful of traditional spellings really aren't doing it for you, why not check how other languages spell it and see if any of those work for you.

(grumble, grumble)

You get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment