Monday, August 19, 2013

Things I Love About My New Home

So I'm freshly moved into the new house. I'm not completely situated yet, as there are still piles of boxes and stuff everywhere, but I'm getting there. The room itself is painted, but one of the closets, where I'd like to store most of the "sometimes" stuff smelled a little stuffy so I wanted to paint it before I put anything in there. That done, I've just got to buy a few large Tupperware containers to hold stuff. I probably should have done that sooner, as it is much easier to store/move things that are already boxed.

Anyway, even though I'm not all the way settled, there have been a number of little details I've noticed about both the house and the area in which I now live that I particularly love. Here are a few of them:

-The faucets on the sink are on the side. This causes the flow of water to move in a circular motion in the sink as it drains (like a whirlpool) rather than going straight down into the sink and sloshing around before going down the drain.

-Due to the fact that I now live on the edge of the mountains, I now have way more daylight without direct sunlight on me. In other words, I can go running later in the morning without needing to worry about sunscreen. Awesome. :)

-There are door frames over all of the doors, even in the basement! This means that I can try and find a home for my pull up bar! The proportions of everything in the house are a little odd, so I may still run into some issues, but there is at least a hope.

-There is space in my room for most of my stuff. I haven't figured out where everything is going to go, or if it will even be in my room, but already I feel like I can more properly use my room. The last room worked well, but it was too small to do much in.

-I can leave my door open and usually do! This is significant because at my last place I didn't really know the other two girls and we all essentially lived in our own little worlds. There are aspects to that that are still the same, but I'm happy to live with three girls that I already know and in a house that is a little more open.

-I have a yard! It's too late in the summer to plant much (if you know of anything that is still in season to plant, let me know!), but I'm excited to be able to work outside some.

There are also a few things I'm not crazy about, but the only one that stands out is that, even though I'm in the basement, my room is rather warm. It's nice in contrast to the freezer I used to live in, but I'm looking forward to the end of the summer. In the meantime I'll have to try and figure out a routine with opening the windows to get some of the cool evening air.

No comments:

Post a Comment