Monday, November 12, 2012

Brazilian Shrimp Soup and another Birthday

Hello lovely people!

I've been rather pathetic at blogging this week, which I can offer no excuse for other than that I've been otherwise occupied spending time with a certain previously mentioned someone. :)

And hey, I made it to 24!

To celebrate we made Brazilian Shrimp Soup last night and finished it off with some carrot cake.



Here's the recipe for the soup.

Brazilian Shrimp Soup

Ingredients:
  1. 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  2. 1 onion, chopped
  3. 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  4. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  5. 3/4 cup long-grain rice
  6. 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  7. 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
  8. 1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from one 15-ounce can) (we used an entire 32 oz can)
  9. 5 cups water
  10. 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (we just used an entire can)
  11. 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally (we used frozen shrimp, but I think it might be better with fresh shrimp, either cooked or raw - the recipe leads me to think that the shrimp would be cooked in the soup if they weren't already) 
  12. 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
  13. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  14. 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (or cilantro, but that's obviously not what I picked) 
Directions: 
1.  In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
2.  Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
3.  Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.

Snow included, the world outdoors has been absolutely beautiful. I was reminded that it snowed the day before my birthday last year, only we were in Indiana.

Oh, and for two days ago (the 10th), I'm thankful for pizza, for being such an easily acquired meal and for so frequently being wonderfully delicious.

For yesterday I'm thankful for being born and for living is such a fantastic world.

And for today I'm thankful for my computer, which makes it easy for me to accomplish so many of the things I wish to, as well as keeping me connected with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment