Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Elementary and Sherlock (with a taste of Hobbit!)

I'm in something of a blogging mood. More likely I'm simply in a procrastination mood of things I really ought to be doing. You can only fill out so many job applications in a day before you start to get sick of them. Speaking of which, if there are any of you out there who have sterling job opportunities out there for an individual with a background in Linguistics, World Dance, and TESOL, send them my way. ;) Doesn't really matter where.

Good news for the day is that I've once again found a good location to do observation hours at a PT office. Always a good thing.

And on to less me-ish things.

 I watched the pilot of Elementary last night.





Now, to begin with, I have not read all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories of Sherlock Holmes. I have read some of them and I enjoyed everything I read. I have not seen every variation of those stories represented in film and television. I've mostly just seen the two films with Robert Downey Jr., as well as the phenomenal BBC series Sherlock. Which you should go out and watch right now if you haven't already seen it. It's better than the films. No competition. I've also seen a few of the older productions in film, but because those were rather spotty viewings, I can't produce any dates or names associated with them.

Back to Elementary. I enjoyed it. It wasn't as funny as Sherlock, nor as well written, but the interaction between Watson and Holmes was certainly very interesting and an interesting new take on things. They didn't play up Holmes' mad skills or focus in on each detail with the same style, but you were still caught up in the puzzle of what was happening, anticipating and anxious for what was to come. I look forward to seeing more of it.

But, as I've already clearly stated, Sherlock is the better show.




And tangent-ing off that, I'm pleased to inform any of you who haven't yet made this connection that we'll be seeing/hearing both of the fabulous actors pictures just above in the upcoming Hobbit film. Or rather, since I don't know to what extent the story will progress in the first film, in one of the upcoming Hobbit films. That's right. Our dear Watson (Martin Freeman) will be Bilbo and the incredible Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) will play the voice of Smaug (and the Necromancer?). Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment