Sunday, October 28, 2012

Egil Hovland's "Saul"

Let me just say that I had one of the most fabulous middle and high school choir directors out there. Mrs. Cathy Zwink. My earliest recognition of her existence was in intermediate school when I sat behind her on a bus to some choir event and distinctly thought I heard someone calling her "Mrs. Wink!" And when I later finally had her as my choir director, I understood why I'd been confused with her name. 

From my perspective as her student, I felt like she dumped her heart and soul into the choral program. And looking back at it now, I'm fairly certain that she did. She managed and directed the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade choirs at the middle school as well as the Concert Choir and Show Choir (Batesville Singers) at the high school. She played the piano and directed. Somehow she did those two simultaneously except when we had students playing the piano or when we sang a capella pieces. These included all of the concerts that we had year round as well as the dinner show at the middle school and the many many concerts, competitions, regional and state contests, and a show choir trip every year to some far flung destination. And I'm barely scraping the tip of what she did. She's amazing. She was an amazing director.

I use the past tense only in reference to her working in our old lovely town of Batesville. The year I graduated from high school was her last there and she moved on to do other things and shake things up a bit. A very deserved and needed change.

Anyway, for whatever reason I was reminded today of a song that we sang in choir entitled "Saul" by Egil Hovland. This is a very bizarre musical number and I remember not really being a fan when we first started to learn it because it was so weird. But somehow, through the incredible direction of Mrs. Zwink, we managed to pull it off well.

So here it is, not our performance, but the best YouTube recording I could find, and not a bad one at that.

1 comment:

  1. It takes a very special person to teach middle school and an even more incredible to love and excel at it. It's obvious she impacted your life. Wherever she is, I hope she is happy. And I wish the same for my MS choir director, Mr. Casperson.

    ReplyDelete