Tuesday, May 22, 2012

De-cluttering to Move


We're getting ready to move out of the house that my parents have lived in for the last fifteen years. The idea has been in the works for at least the past year, but everything came together incredibly swiftly in the past month. I've been attempting to go through all of my belongings and weed out the unnecessary and it is hard. There's just so much sentiment attached to much of what you collect over the years. And on the other hand, a lot of it just seems silly when you look at it, and that stuff doesn't seem difficult to get rid of. More than anything, when I do decide to get rid of something, whether it be an old card, sweater, or treasure box, it usually just feels good, like I'm cleaning out my soul a little bit, freeing it of clutter, and making room for more exciting things to come. I'm excited. I still have too much stuff, but I'm excited.



Really, in the long run, less is more. I don't need most of the stuff I have, and I'd like to waste less money on stuff I don't need. I just need to keep that perspective in mind as I go through things. The one thing I'll likely have the most trouble with are my books. I'll probably go through them all again and carefully repack my book boxes, making sure they're all there and getting rid of the few I don't feel attached to.

No comments:

Post a Comment