Thursday, April 26, 2012

Geocaching

I've discovered something new and wonderful recently.

Geocaching.

Don't know what that is? Neither did I. It's essentially an outdoor treasure hunting adventure game. You go to this website, make an account (it's free), and then you have access to over a million geocache locations to hunt down and find across the world (literally - they're on all seven continents). You look up some locations in your area or in areas that you'll soon be and you write down the coordinates and name/hints. Then you go out, guided by a GPS, and you find and enter your name in little log in the Geocache (and then you go back to the website and mark that you visited it - so that the rest of us know it is still there).

It's fun. :) It sound perhaps a little kooky at first, but once you go out and do it, there's something wonderful about it.

I've only actually been twice, but even in those two times, I enjoyed it. The first time was years ago just around and about in my little hometown. The second time was a few weeks ago in Cincinnati. Not only do you find little secret treasures hidden from the everyday passing pedestrian, but you'll likely get to know the area much better. We climbed fences and traipsed through people's backyards. You can hide them to, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

I'd heard the term before, but somehow I never really knew what it was. Now I know. Now every time I got on a vacation anywhere (Italy this summer?) I'm going to look and see if there are any geocaches in the area. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment