Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson

As you may (or may not) have noticed, it has been a few weeks since I last wrote on here. Life has just been crazy busy. Crazy awesome, but crazy busy.

However, I have no excuse for this last week, as I was on spring break and filled my time as I saw fit. I could have written, but instead I experimented with sewing skirts and spend great lengths of time reading for pleasure (when was the last time I did that?). And it was wonderful. :)

What did I spend all that time reading? Let me tell you!


I was gifted the first book in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson at Christmas time and read it over that break. It was really good. I wanted to read the next two, but it wasn't until the week before spring break that I received both the second and third in the mail. So I hurried and burned through the second book at the beginning of this last week and then made my way through the third one this last weekend (and yesterday).

There are some books that grip you so hard that you can't put them down. You just have to keep reading. Summer 2008 I read the Twilight books. They didn't grip, exactly, but I wanted to know what would happen in the books and I wanted to know now. So I burned through the first three books. They're easy books to read. Entertaining enough, suspenseful enough, but not high quality reading. I easily finished each in a day, even when there were a great deal of other things I was doing simultaneously. (I never read the fourth book, though I did skim it for content - evidence of a lack of motivation for the story.)

The Mistborn Trilogy is gripping. You want to know what's going on. As the books proceed, hundreds of questions pile up as confusing thing after confusing thing happens. But, the Mistborn Trilogy is also not light reading. It's much much higher quality writing than Twilight (not that I am in any way other than that comparing the two, as they are really not comparable) and so well put together. It is also much denser writing. So as much as I wanted to hurry through and discover the answers to all my questions, I also felt the need to slow down and soak in the details of what was happening. I tried to read as much as I could in a day, but it was difficult to maintain, as much as I was gripped by the book. I was still supposed to eat, supposed to do other normal tasks for the day, and all I really wanted to be doing was sitting down soaking in the words.

So. Good.

Really.

It has been awhile since I've read for pleasure in such a concentrated dose, so perhaps the freshness of a good story skews my perception of this particular one. But it was so good. The story, looking at the three books as one solid story, was so well thought out, so well woven together. I honestly want to read the whole series again, but it will have to wait as I really don't have time for that kind of reading in the next couple of weeks. But there were so many questions and confusions that I couldn't make sense of that were neatly and thoroughly smoothed out in the third book. It was just really cool to read through hundreds of pages of tiny text and see the little puzzle pieces slowly fitting together and making a complete picture.

:)

Obviously, I can't recommend these books highly enough. And for those of you who read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, I, at least, can rest easier having now read Brandon Sanderson's work, knowing he's finishing up Robert Jordan's work. I'm a little behind with the Wheel of Time, but I'm more excited to finish reading it having now read the Mistborn Trilogy.

I still need to read Mistborn: The Alloy of Law, which is a book set in the future of the same world (so I understand) but outside the Trilogy. But I'm really excited to read it. :)

And what's this? I hear talk of a movie? ...always a frightening thing when they're considering it with a story that is already so good....

Update: I read Alloy of Law and it was still so good! However, I was confused as I thought it was intended to be a stand alone book. The ending seems to leave more than ample room for more, even the expectation of more, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment