Monday, February 13, 2012

Who Had It First?

As you're likely aware, my blogger "name" is Trelawny1111. My old yahoo email, which I occasionally still use, also uses the name Trelawny. Now, I honestly can't remember exactly when I made my Yahoo email account, but I believe it was after I first visited England in the summer of 2002. I only think this because the only reason I can remember wanting to use the name "Trelawny" in my email was because I'd seen it as the street name in St. Ives and thought it was beautiful. And I even botched the spelling as it likely should have been Trelawney.

Now, here's the thing. For the longest time, people have said, "Oh, you must be a fan of Harry Potter," because they assume that the reason I've used the name Trelawny in my email must be related to Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (published in July/September 1999). This has always bothered me because there is no connection whatsoever in my choice of the use of Trelawny in my email and the Trelawney from the Harry Potter series. And to disprove that connection, I'd developed an understanding of the situation that said that I'd visited England prior to the publishing of the third book.

As I've been looking at all of the information, and as I've presented it, this understanding is incorrect. The earliest emails I can find from that account are from August 2002, which verifies that the account at least existed just after the trip to England. However, I've no way to verify for certain exactly when the account came in to existence. I sent an email asking customer service and we'll see what that inquiry turns up.

Anyway, I suppose, owing to my proper look at the information, I probably shouldn't use the excuse of "I had it first," anymore, as that really doesn't seem to be true. I'd bet that St. Ives and the many other cities that use "Trelawney" on one of their streets had the name before Harry Potter, but I didn't have it before Harry Potter, so I probably shouldn't say that. Instead I'll simply have to retell the story of me visiting England and falling in love with the (misspelling of the) name. :) But that's not so bad. And at least I know that's true.


It's just as well anyway, as they chose Emma Thompson to play the role of Professor Trelawney, and she's one of my favorite actresses. I can handle that.

Today's bones are the Carpal bones, or wrist bones. These ones just make more sense it a set. You've got eight of them in each wrist. They're the scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, and hamate bones. I could describe where each of them are, but I think it would be more beneficial for you to look at the links. :)

Day 40


-palsy: paralysis
-panacea: cure-all
-panache: flamboyance
-panegyric: praise
-parvenu: newcomer, social climber

No comments:

Post a Comment