Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homunculi = Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

The other day in Physiology we were talking about the motor and sensory cortex of the brain (discussing the lobes of the brain) and my professor referred to something as the homunculus of the brain. Honestly, when he said that, all attention meant to be put towards processing the lecture stopped and I suddenly put all of my mental energy towards trying to remember what the homunculus of the brain was. I was stumped.

Turns out that that distorted drawing you'll often see with a sort of map of what part of the brain is feeling/sensing or moving is the homunculus of the brain. Something like this,


However, what I was thinking of instead of Physiology was the fantastic show, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Why? Because within that show one of the main characters has seven homunculi (Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, and Pride), or artificially made aspects of himself. Which makes a lot more sense of this definition of what it is to be a homunculus than the Physiology definition.

While we're on the topic, let me try and sell Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood on you. It's wonderful. An incredibly well written story, in my opinion. It's dark, somewhat violent, but the characters and story are fascinating. You have to be careful, as there are two versions (Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood) and Brotherhood is the longer and (according to those I know who've seen both) the better version. Oh, and it's an anime. :)

I know all of those details in combination may not sound like much, but I really can't recommend it enough. I couldn't watch it fast enough, and yet when I'd finished it there was this sudden lack, this sudden hole that had opened up in my life. I wanted more, but there wasn't more to be had.

All the same, go watch it! For awhile most of it was available on Netflix (if you have that), but if not on Netflix you can definitely find places to watch it all over the internet.

This trailer is really epic (and not in English).



(Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Trailer)

And here is a link to the first episode on YouTube. :) You can find many of the other episodes dubbed there, although towards the end you'll have to look elsewhere online unless you'd like to stomach through the subtitled episodes. Which really isn't so bad, if you do it from the beginning, but if you go from dubbed to subtitles halfway, it's no good.

I'm sure you're all familiar with your own spine. And as you're also likely aware, your spine is made up of vertebrae. We're just looking at the Cervical Vertebrae, which are the seven that form the top part of the spine, essentially forming your neck and connecting to the base of your skull. In a bunch of vertebrae, I can usually identify these by the fact that they have transverse foramena.

Day 45

-reconnoiter: to survey
-recreant: cowardly
-redolent: fragrant
-reflux: ebb
-regalia: emblems

No comments:

Post a Comment