Tuesday, February 21, 2012

En Passant

Today in Physiology my professor used the phrase "[something] en passant" to describe some neurological function and immediately my brain jumped instead to this. Which I think probably a more practical application of the phrase. :) I don't remember the last time I used that move in a game of chess, but I remember being taught the move long ago when I was six or seven. And I perhaps am not very vocally critical of the many many things my professor pronounces in odd ways (as with anatomy and physiology there are many ways to say things "right"), but as I knew how this one was supposed to sound in a context unrelated to Physiology, I wanted to correct him. But didn't. He was having a bad day today and I didn't want to pick on his pronunciation.


Today's bone is the Palantine bone. This is essentially the bone that, among other things, makes up the roof of your mouth, your hard palate. You can feel it if you press your tongue against the top of your mouth and go all the way until it becomes soft (at which point you've left the palantine bone).

No comments:

Post a Comment