Thursday, February 23, 2012

Castle in the Sky

Last night I watched Castle in the Sky for the first time. As already noted, I've been discovering various anime films recently, particularly those made by Hayao Miyazaki at Studio Ghibli. It was a bit of a spur of the moment idea, as we were looking for something to do while eating dinner, prior to studying and I'd brought it along with me. However, instead of studying we just watched the movie. And it was wonderful. I've enjoyed most of the Studio Ghibli films I've seen, but the was something wonderfully charming about this in particular film. Not only was the animation beautiful, but the story was very interesting and the writing - wonderful. So many little snippets of conversation and lines sort of haphazardly thrown into the film. So quick. So subtle. I was laughing throughout the film. I couldn't help it.

I don't think this trailer really does much to demonstrate how wonderful the movie was, but it will at least give you some idea of what it is about.



(Castle in the Sky Theatrical Trailer HD)

The entire time we were watching the movie I was trying to figure out where the actress who did the voice of Sheeta was from. My guess was New Zealand. And guess what? The actress is Anna Paquin (think Rogue from X-Men) who is Canadian, but grew up in New Zealand. I'd never noticed (or never really paid much attention to) the subtle distinctions that can be picked up in her speech. I think in most of the movies I saw from early acting career she was always affecting an American accent, even something of a Southern accent, so I just didn't think about it. Perhaps it was the lack of distraction from visual cues, but her accent was much more obvious to me in the film.

Today we'll look at the Occipital bone. This is another bone of the cranium. It forms the back of the skull and the base of the skull. It's the part of your skull you're resting on when you're lying with the back of your head on your pillow. That's it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment