Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Want to Find Neverland.

Growing up, after I hit puberty I was often taken to be older than I was. On multiple occasions at airport security checks I would be asked for identification even though I was too young to have a proper ID. This was often much to the annoyance of Kyle who is two and a half years older than me, as he did have the proper ID and mostly wasn't asked for it. Our respective ages were not readily apparent. And still aren't for all that we've both changed quite a bit. We still have people who occasionally ask us who is older. And I just look over at Kyle and grin. It is more credit to him that he looks young. :) That's how I like to think about it.

Anyway, people have always told me that I'm mature for my age. That's what I've gotten for a long time. And on the one hand, I appreciate that. I have, for a long time, enjoyed the company of those older than me as I've found it to often be more interesting than that of my contemporaries.

However, I've come to recognize that I've no interest in become older and more serious. I have enough serious tones as it is. I don't want to grow up any more. I want to be able to play and find joy in the world for my entire life. To gain energy and inspiration from the simple and beautiful things. I want to love the details. I don't want to feel my style and energy cramped just by my age alone. I'm not saying I want to be immature. I just want to be able to laugh at wonderful things and explore everything without feeling like that energy needs to be contained. That's what I want.

And if that means climbing on the roof, playing video games, walking barefoot in the mud, playing in hay, setting up intricate mazes, creating treasure hunts, etching on my skin, making silly faces, stating the obvious, and making snow angels in the snow, so be it. I can handle that. And I think I'll be happier for it.



(Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New York)

Day 25

-convivial: sociable, festive
-coquette: a flirt
-cornucopia: cone-shaped horn filled with fruit
-cubism: a style of painting
-cupidity: greed

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, being serious seems ever so dull and tiresome. It seems almost as tedious as being consistant, rational or sensible. As the ever witty Oscar Wilde said: "Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow."

    ReplyDelete