Thursday, December 22, 2011

Podcasts! Well, only two of them....

Ok. So, I've been aware of the existence of podcasts for some time now, but I don't think I really discovered them and started listening to any consistently until about a year and a half ago. I didn't really understand how to listen to them. Given resources such as iTunes, it is remarkably easy. It is essentially the ability to selectively listen to radio, lectures, and what have you for free whenever you so desire. If you are one of those people who has to spend more an hour in the car at any point, I highly recommend becoming acquainted with podcasts.

But where to start? NPR is a good place. If you like radio and there are certain topics you'd like to listen about, NPR has a wide selection to choose from. But if you want more than that, you can pretty much google any topic in combination with the search term 'podcast' and you're likely to find something that overlaps with your interests.

A couple of my recent favorites include the following.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe.


This podcast looks at a wide variety of topics and issues from a skeptical perspective. I think the reason I like this podcast is because it is entertaining and exposes me to ideas and news that I otherwise wouldn't ever hear about. It leans heavily towards science, perhaps another reason I like it. It isn't for everyone, but I certainly enjoy it.

The Infinite Monkey Cage.


This one covers topics similar to those in the Skeptic's Guide, but obviously, as a BBC radio podcast, it is British and bit more accessible as it directed at a wider public audience. The podcasts are shorter, usually about half an hour, but they're packed with wonderful entertaining and informing tidbits. It is a combination of science and comedy. A good combination. The only problem with the Infinite Monkey Cage, in my opinion, is that they have very few episodes available. They had previous seasons on the radio, but none of those seasons seem to available anywhere. So, if any of you handful of readers discover the hidden stash of episodes, please let me know! I'd love to listen to them.


There are others, but those are perhaps the two I'm most interested in sharing. Clearly, I need to branch out more....

In a similar method I also subscribe to the show Mr. Deity. Which I recommend for everyone as it is highly entertaining and ridiculous. Let's see, here's a good example.



(Mr. Deity and the Help Meet)

No comments:

Post a Comment