Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Winter Solstice!

Today, being the 22nd of December, 2011, is the Winter Solstice.

As we've approached Christmas this year I've not really felt that it was Christmas time. The feeling just hasn't been there. Perhaps because it has been ridiculously warm thus far this winter (no snow and it is 46 degrees F outside - chance of rain). Perhaps because it wasn't until 14th and 15th that our Christmas decorations went up (although they look quite beautiful now!). Whatever the reason, it doesn't feel like December and it doesn't feel like Christmas time.

That lack of feeling aside, I've still been enjoying some of the details of the season. For example, this year the garland around the staircase has bells on it. This is wonderful as every time I race up or down the stairs the bells ring and make me smile. An addition I very much enjoy. They're subtle and not over the top and they add just enough colorful sound.

I was wrapping some gifts and looking at the sticker tags that we had sitting in the wrapping supplies and I was reminded of a Christmas a number of years ago when I was little. I really don't recall the Christmas that well, but having been told the story since then, I still have the general memory of what went on. Essentially, my parents had the bright idea to add some variety to who the packages were addressed to and from. As in, from Santa, to Dasher. That kind of thing. The problem was that come Christmas morning, they couldn't remember who all of the packages were really addressed to. There may have been a method and pattern to the madness, but it got lost in the shuffle of everything else. I'm sure everything got sorted out eventually, but I haven't seen that idea repeated since then. There have been some slight variations, but while they've been more creative, they've also been clearer. Not quite so vague.

Anyway, good things ahead. :) I need to wrap some more presents....

No comments:

Post a Comment