Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cops: No longer the threat they once use to be

I've done a lot of driving in the last week (twice to Seattle, twice to Spokane) and as I was last driving back from Spokane, I was driving through one of the little cities on the way and there was a cop parked right at the beginning of one of the lower speed areas. First off, I think that is kind of a (no pun intended) cop-out location to try and catch people speeding, because it is possible that they'll still be reducing their speed from whatever it was before. I mean, I know that it is important to slow down when driving through those little towns, but seriously, can't you wait a little farther in? Just a little? So as to give people time to slow down? Second, it occurred to me that I felt absolutely no threat whatsoever from this cop because I was, in fact, going exactly the speed limit.

Before, I mostly sped around, usually going about five over the speed limit, but now, I've rarely gone over the speed limit anywhere, simply because the roads are small and curvy and I feel safe going the speed limit. I still speed a little on the interstate, but there aren't a lot of interstates around here, so I don't speed very often.

I guess it was just really nice to realize that the cop had no power over me at all because I wasn't doing anything illegal. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate cops and all that they do for society, and I've never been in a position where I felt like the cop was abusing their government granted authority, but I know of plenty of friends who've been taken advantage of my cops. Friends who have been given tickets for kind of ridiculous reasons. So, for any of you out there who are cops, don't be offended by anything I say. I appreciate you for the things you do, as long as you are being considerate of people and situations. I want you to do your job, but also to recognize when it is appropriate to make exceptions.

Anyway, where I felt slight increase of heart rate when I would previously drive by cops, usually because I was speeding, it was really nice to feel no reaction whatsoever.

That's right. You can't touch me.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm not familiar with the geographical location of your current town, but when you drive to Spokane do you ever go past Ephrata? It's very close to George and Ellensburg. My grandparents live there, it's a great tiny Washington town.

    ReplyDelete