Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bach vs. Jem (although it doesn't really matter who wins)

I've been a fan of the musician Jem for a number of years now. I was introduced to her by an awesome roommate freshman year.

So when I was at a piano recital last night and heard this,



(Bach: Prelude & Fugue No. 12 in F Minor)

my first thought was, "Where have I heard this before?"

It took me about a minute to realize that I'd heard it from Jem in this song,



(Jem - They - Official Video)

I'm pretty sure I've blogged about that song before, as it is one that I particularly like for the lyrics.

Anyway, I guess I was just amused that I connected that soundbite with Jem before Bach. I was definitely introduced to Bach long before I was introduced to Jem, but somehow I had never heard that particular song by Bach until now...

Interesting, but entirely unimportant!

And on to better things, Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. Genever -- I played that Bach prelude and fugue growing up, so when Kirs introduced me to Jem I was SO excited about that song. She does that with a lot of her songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I could have been so unaware of that element in her music but, I'm happy to have discovered it now. :)

    ReplyDelete