Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Suzanne Collins

In honor of yesterday's release of Suzanne Collins most recent book, I though it might be appropriate to send her name out into the blogosphere. For those of you who aren't familiar with her, Mockingjay (which came out yesterday) is the third and final installment of the Hunger Games trilogy.

Now, let's start at the beginning. I won't be giving you a summary of what the books are about. You can looks summaries up online easily. I've even included links to make that easier.

I had never heard of Suzanne Collins, or of The Hunger Games, until my little sister (at the time only eleven years old) recommended it to me over the Christmas holidays in December 2008. A little hesitantly (because it seemed difficult to believe that my little sister could really be recommending a good book to me) I took the book up and began to read it. And didn't put it down until I had finished it.

First impression, other than the fact that it was both fantastic and disturbing, was that it would make an extraordinary film. First impression. I could visualize everything, and everything was simple enough to pull off without making it unbelievable. Of course, that impression came with another hesitation, knowing that, while it might not be a difficult film to pull off (relatively speaking), it could also be easily ruined (Like the recent live-action version of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Never have I felt so betrayed by a filmmaker as I did in the theater watching that film.).

Approximately a year later, in September 2009, I read the second book, Catching Fire, as soon it came out. Also fantastic. Both the first book and the second had ended with cliff hangers, and all I wanted was the third book. Again, there was the impression that there was still nothing impassable in the plot for it to be reconstructed into a film.

Yesterday, the third book, Mochingjay, finally arrived and I had it in my hands as soon as I reasonably could (thanks to a reminder from a friend about it). And I read it and finished it. And was not quite completely satisfied, but content. It was sort of real. It hadn't ended with the stars and fireworks I had expected, but it had ended in a way that sort of felt...real. And ok. Still film worthy.

Anyway, I'd recommend these books to anyone and everyone. They're good. They're interesting. They're sort of disturbing. But entirely worth it all. At least in my opinion. I'll have to read them again and see if reading them side-by-side makes any difference.

1 comment: