Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Top Ten Most Attractive Hollywood Gentlemen

I don't normally make lists like this. Anyone who grew up with me (we're talking about pre-college) knows that I was never a boy-crazy girl. I hung out with a lot of guys, played video games with a lot of guys, but never really had crushes on a lot of guys. I was semi-oblivious. So, once again, let me say that I don't normally make lists like this.

Having said that, I was hunting down information about the latest X-men prequel, just to see if it looked any good, and I noticed that James McAvoy was listed as playing Dr. Xavior. Which got me to thinking about attractive actors, which led me to considering if I had enough favorites to make a list. The first six-ish were fairly easy to think of, but after that I had to consider favorite movies and such to come up with the last few. Not that there aren't lots of attractive actors, but rather that I like to be picky in the actors that I'll say are attractive. ... Right. So, here it is. These may not be your favorites, but for various reasons they're my favorites. I seem to have a soft spot for dark headed chaps.

1.) James McAvoy
I probably first noticed James in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch, and the Wardrobe as Mr. Tumnus. Odd, I know, but true nonetheless. After that I realized he was Leto in Children of Dune, which I thought was cool simply because Dune is awesome. And then I saw him in Penelope and my mind was made up. He was beautiful. Plus that movie has the most perfect kiss towards the end. But that wouldn't have anything to do with it. ;) He also appeared heavily in Becoming Jane, but since I had already formed my opinion rather solidly, it didn't have much impact on my thoughts concerning him, except to make them a bit stronger.

2.) Cillian Murphy
Ok. First saw Cillian in Girl With a Pearl Earring, but his part was so small that I didn't fully realize what I was looking at. Next noticed him in Batman Begins. It was at that point that I realized that I recognized him (from Girl with a Pearl Earring) and that he was very attractive (which may seem rather odd since the part he plays in Batman Begins is definitely creepy, to say the least). I then saw him in Red Eye, which was particularly conflicting because he sort of initially played a "normal" guy but then turned out to be a real creep. At that point I was starting to wonder if he played any normal roles. Turns out he did, I just hadn't seen any of them. I watched Sunshine (finally a good main role) and then more recently Inception (which was fantastic!). The thing is, even from that first little role he had, and even in the creepy roles that he played, he still managed to be attractive. So he makes the list.

3.) Gerard Butler







































I've seen Gerard in a number of movies. The two that really tipped the balance in his favor (as if he really needed it) were Dear Frankie and P.S. I Love You, both of which are wonderful. Aside from the fact that he is obviously attractive, he has the greatest voice. When I went to see How To Train Your Dragon, it was so easy to recognize that he was doing the voice for Stoick. It was just so thoroughly him!

4.) Hugh Jackman







































First point of interest: I've never seen anything with Hugh in it with his hair like this. But when I was looking for a good picture of him, this one was just too good to pass over. And while this may not be the most common length for his hair, who cares. It's amazing. So, not only am I a sucker for dark hair, but also (apparently) for longer hair.

Let's see. Obviously, every X-men movie portrayed him in all his awesomeness. Then there was also The Prestige, Kate & Leopold, Van Helsing, and Australia, in no particular order. I don't think it ever occurred to me at any particular point in time that Hugh was attractive, but it was always assumed.

5.) Ben Whishaw



















Ben is a recent find. Recent, as in, I think the only movie of his I've seen is Bright Star, and I watched that last week. But the entire time I watched it I couldn't help but wonder why I hadn't seen him in more films. So yes, I think he's attractive. Very much so. But I don't have much to say about him because I really don't know very much about him.

6.) Joseph Gordon-Levitt







































I haven't seen (500) Days of Summer, but I've heard good things and I would really like to see it. But I have seen 10 Things I Hate About You and Inception, both of which I really liked. Joseph sort of comes across as the geeky guy who just happens to have a great deal of charm and good looks. The characters he usually play seem to be surprised by their good fortune, though no one else is surprised.

7.) Christian Bale

The first film I remember watching with Christian in it was Little Women. That alone was enough to convince me of his good looks. Oh Teddy....I didn't need any others. But then I saw Empire of the Sun, Newsies, The Prestige, The New World, 3:10 to Yuma, and finally Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Little Women was enough, but there was so much more to work with.

8.) Adrien Brody
















The one and only film I have as a reference to declare the good looks of Adrien is The Brothers Bloom, a recent discovery. But it is enough. It's more than enough.

9.) Keanu Reeves
First exposure to Keanu was Much Ado About Nothing. Which he really wasn't all that great in. The film was fantastic, but his particular role in it, or how he played it, really wasn't good compared to the others in it. After that there was of course, The Matrix (which I didn't see until about a month ago) which was good, The Day the Earth Stood Still, which was...interesting, and The Lake House. And, to me, The Lake House brought his character and looks into the light, so to speak. Playing a sort of lousy bad dude in Much Ado About Nothing, I really didn't notice him. The Day the Earth Stood Still was a little weird. But The Lake House made the cut. As did The Matrix when I finally got around to watching it. I'm not sure what took me so long.

10.) Milo Ventimiglia















There isn't too much for me to say about Milo, except that he is obviously attractive. I only know him from Heroes, but that was enough. Lots of episodes, lots of character development. Interesting. And attractive.





Honorable Mentions: James Caviezel (The Count of Monte Cristo), Ryan Reynolds (The Proposal), Chris Pine (Star Trek), James Franco (Spider-Man), Jake Gyllenhaal (October Sky), James Marsden (27 Dresses)

3 comments:

  1. I noticed something... A lot of these guys have...how do you say....stylistic design cues, or thematic elements, similarities of facial structures...whatever it is, a lot of the guys on your list share elements of their appearance with Kyle. Interesting, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I can sort of see where you're coming from. All of these actors are stylish. Kyle is stylish. Most of these actors have shaggy hair. Kyle has shaggy hair... There are definitely some similarities. Although, I would like to point out that all of the above are brunettes and Kyle is most definitely blond (As are the rest of my immediate family members except for my mom).

    I don't think any of those similarities were on my mind (or have ever been on my mind) when I've considered actors I think are attractive.

    In my mind, I make connections between very specific actors and my family members. As far as the men in my family are concerned, my dad is Harrison Ford, Kyle is Brad Pitt, and my other brother is Christopher Reeves. So, maybe that is why I don't make any connections between the above list and Kyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad christian bale made the list!! he is definitely my number one!! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete