Saturday, March 6, 2010

Energy: Travis Barker

Ok. I'm a total sucker for energy. Pure, unmistakable energy. Like lightning. And waterfalls. There is just something powerful and amazing about so many things in life, and some of them are extra special. And you know you're seeing something like that when you get that feeling inside, that tightening of the chest cavity when something is truly breathtaking and all of the energy inside of you wants to reach out and answer the spectacular display of energy you see. Your heart rate increases, even though you're doing nothing but watching. You feel like your bursting from the inside out.

Every time I've felt this feeling, I've wanted to grab onto it and run with it. To hold onto it and let it drive my life. And for periods of time, it has. The first time I saw Irish dancers live, pounding the floor with their rhythms, I loved the feeling of awe that I got and I wanted to find a way to do what they were doing. I wanted to be able to feel energy through the rhythm and the beat. And I did.

In a different way, when I first started studying Linguistics, I knew I was in the right place because man, was I excited! It was so interesting, so cool, and I just wanted to study and learn more about the intricacies of the subject. Phonetics. Phonology. Morphology. Syntax (a personal favorite). Semantics. Pragmatics. I wanted to learn everything. In fact, often, when I discover a new subject, regardless of what it is, I get that feeling. That "this is so amazing and I wish I time to spend my entire life studying it and exploring it" feeling. Chemistry. History. Physics. Biology. Philosophy. Dance. Religion. Human Anatomy. Language.

In The Saint, when Simon Templar asked Emma Russell "What do you search for?" she responded "Energy." Like that was the most natural and obvious answer in the world. I love that movie, for a variety of reasons, but that's one of them.

The whole point of all of this today, is that one of my brothers showed me a video awhile back and I felt that feeling when I watched it. Pure energy, right there before my eyes. It's a video of Travis Barker who, if you didn't know, was (is?) the drummer for Blink-182. It's just a video of him doing a remix of Soulja Boy's "Crank That." That's it. But somehow, ignoring technique and difficulty, he performs with an unbelievable amount of energy. And it goes on and on. He plays the drums with this uncontainable energy. His whole body is invested in the drumming. And so, when I watch it, I feel the energy, and I want to do something to express the energy within me. Not drumming, because I don't know how to drum, but something. Anything.

So, watch it, and maybe you'll see it and feel it. Regardless of whether you do though, I just want to send out this recommendation that whoever you are, wherever you're at, chase energy. Chase those things which make you light up inside. Because it will make you happier in the long run. It will take you places that you want to go.



(Travis Barker Drum Solo Remix Soulja Boy)

No comments:

Post a Comment