Monday, February 1, 2010

For I dearly love to laugh

I sometimes feel knocked off my feet by unexpected events. These events aren't always good or bad, but the changes they bring can occasionally make me have to stop and re-evaluate what's going on in my life. Most of the time it is a quick fix and I'm off again.

These past few weeks have been full of small unexpected events. January was a very exciting month. There was of course the whole parking issue, along with a new car battery, a new computer, and a few other small skirmishes, but for the most part most of the exciting events were good events. I applied for the TESOL grad program, finalized graduation plans, and discovered a new, amazing sandwich (samich).

Before I go any farther, let me elaborate on this sandwich. Two pieces of Honey Whole Wheat bread from Great Harvest Bread Company, Mesquite Smoked Turkey, Swiss cheese, Jack Daniel's Honey Dijon Mustard, Mayo, Avocados, Tomatoes. See, doesn't that just sound delicious? What's slightly odd about this sandwich is that there are several items included in the ingredients which I wouldn't normally say I was partial towards. For example, I've never been a huge fan of tomatoes or avocados, and I've never really given honey dijon mustard a chance. But somehow, in this sandwich I've discovered all kinds of things which I didn't appreciate before.

Anyway, it just amazes me that there are so many things out there in life that can come and sweep me off my feet, but no matter what they are, almost always the overall changes that result are good changes. I can always find a reason to smile.

Like the whole parking situation. I was definitely a little frustrated initially when I didn't get a parking spot, but I was resigned to the idea and was even looking forward (a very little) to exploring the parking around my block. And then I was even lucky enough to have a stellar roommate who sold her spot to me. And now I'm a pro at backing into a tight little parking spot between a wall and a pole. (Which I rock at, by the way.)

Or the whole battery ordeal. If my car hadn't died and I hadn't had it jumped and tried to go for a drive I would have never had the experience or thrill of driving through two stop lights and a stop sign without stopping. I wouldn't have that story to tell now.

And more recently with my computer, if I hadn't spilled milk on the mouse pad and made the mouse button stick down I never would have wanted to open it up and look inside. And now I know how to do that. (Not that I'm planning on doing it again any time soon. Or ever again, for that matter.) I've seen the inside of my computer. Granted, I'm now having to get a new computer to replace it, but the experience was there all the same, and the end result worth it.

I guess what I'm saying is that life is worth it. All the good things and bad things, they're all worth it. Sure, not everything that happens is always ideal, but there is always something good to take away with the experiences.

And more than anything else, life makes me smile. It makes me laugh. It makes me so happy to be alive and in this world and experiencing the things I am.

Just don't forget to laugh. That would be a shame.

"For I dearly love to laugh."
- Elizabeth Bennet

No comments:

Post a Comment