Friday, January 1, 2010

On Techno Music...

For those of you who know me, or have known me for a somewhat extended period of time, you most likely are aware that I enjoy dancing. I enjoy most music, but particularly music with a strong beat. I'm addicted to the beat. It makes me smile. It makes me want to move. To be happy.

Since middle school (more commonly known as junior high (I suppose) for some of you) I've gone through several trance/techno phases (periods of time where that has been just about all I listened to). I don't know what it is about those types of music, but they somehow get to me. Anyway, one of my awesome roomies (Kirsten!) made a comment about me just listening to techno music because our freshman/sophomore years of college, I definitely did listen to a lot of techno when I was playing it out loud for us both to hear. I listened to other music, but if I was going to play it out loud, I wanted it to be strong and loud, so it was mostly techno or at least dance music.

This past year I've not been exposed to as much techno/trance music as I have before, for one reason or another. Over Christmas break though, one of my brothers has periodically been blaring awesome techno and I couldn't help but wonder why I didn't listen to all that crazy music anymore. And so I started listening to it all again, with a little wider variety, and I remember why I love it.

It isn't deep music, and it isn't mentally stimulating music (for the most part), but there is something about it that really makes me happy. I tend to apply the words awesome, amazing, fantastic, and other such words far too liberally, particularly with music, but this is just another occasion when I really feel the need to apply a synonym of those words to describe how techno makes me feel. What's better than moving to the beat, to music that makes your heart at least a little happier and more care free?

There really are too many amazing things in this world and it is sometimes difficult for me to fully appreciate them all, try as I might. So, in such an instance as this, where something I enjoyed was missing from my life for awhile, it is nice to have it back around, at least for a little bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment